The recommendations from the Next Level Innovations (N.L.I.) report were accepted last Wednesday evening at a Church Conference by a vote of 103-16. We had a wonderful gathering that was preceded by a time of singing, prayer, and communion. Cathy Abbott, our Arlington District Superintendent, lead the Church Conference by quoting Bishop Cho, who prayed for God’s will to be done, “nothing more, nothing less, nothing else.” Though it is true that not all agreed with the changes recommended in the N.L.I. report, there was a great spirit of community among our church family on that evening.
The outcome of the Church Conference means we will move forward with support from our Arlington District and our clergy mentor Mark Miller to implement the N.L.I. recommendations.
There are several opportunities for you to participate in this effort by volunteering for the following teams:
- Hospitality Team– Work to develop a comprehensive plan for significantly improving the hospitality of Sterling United Methodist Church
- Sunday Morning Worship Experience Team – Work to create a Sunday morning worship environment that facilitates an engaging experience at Sterling United Methodist
- Sunday 10:00 Discipleship Hour Team – Work to create an engaging experience that fosters Fellowship, Discipleship, Small Groups, and Sunday School opportunities for all ages at Sterling United Methodist Church
- Communications Team– Work to develop a full communications strategy for significantly improving the print, electronic, and social media communications of Sterling United Methodist Church
Upcoming NLI Events:
- Wednesday, August 2, 6:30 PM – 8:00 PM– Prayer Walking – Learn how to do a variety of simple prayer walking techniques designed to be a spiritual discipline for you and the way to connect to your neighborhood. Help develop a church-wide program to help others learn as well – be a prayer walking leader!
- Wednesday, September 6, 6:30 PM – 8:00 PM– Hospitatlity101 – Sometimes in our love for our church and its people, we forget the basics of hospitality to newcomers. We will cover the basic theology of why God desires us to welcome everyone, where we sometimes go wrong, and how we might make some changes. We will be reviewing the Mystery Worshiper comments for clues as well.
We pray for the great spirit of community among our church family to continue as we begin the work of successfully implementing God’s will in our church’s future.