Position: Director of Connections
Hours/week: Part-time – 20 hours/week
Salary Range: 18 to 20K per annum
Work hours: Sunday mornings, 8:30 AM to 12:30 PM, special events, evening meetings
Supervisor: Senior Pastor
Annual leave: Yes
Sick leave: Yes
Health benefits: No
Retirement benefits: Yes
The Director of Connections oversees and coordinates people’s introduction and integration into the community of faith to grow discipleship in line with Sterling
UMC ‘s strategic vision of transforming lives through Jesus Christ.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develop and implement connection strategies, to include identifying current trends in assimilation ministries and promote new ideas to expand the scope and capabilities of ministry opportunities.
- Develop means of connecting people with existing opportunities, giving special attention to helping people serve in their areas of giftedness.
- Provide experiences and environments for learning about spiritual gifts.
- Provide experiences and environments for people interested in membership to learn about membership and join the church.
- Develop invitation opportunities (events/tools), experiences and environments (both internal and external)to engage individuals not currently part of the Sterling.
- Staff the First Impressions team, fully, with volunteers and provide the necessary resources to support Sunday worship services.
- Partner with program ministry staff to integrate opportunities for connection in their area.
- Prepare and manage the connections budget.
- Work with the administrative staff to schedule/promote/market “connection” opportunities at Sterling UMC.
- Utilize church management software to support decision making.
Creating the New and Different:
- Facilitates effective brainstorming.
- Easily makes connections among previously unrelated notions.
- Has good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will play out successfully in the congregation and/or community.
- Can marshal resources (people, funding, material, support) to get things done.
- Develops schedules and task/people assignments.
- Evaluates results.
- Arranges information and a practical manner.
Managing Volunteer Teams:
- Good judge of talent.
- Can articulate the strengths and limitations of people.
- Provides the information people need to know to do their jobs and to feel good about being a member of the team.
- Provides individuals with timely information so they can make accurate decisions.
- Clearly and comfortably delegates both routine and important tasks and decisions.
- Fosters open dialogue.
- Creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
- Very easy to approach and talk to (welcoming).
- Spends the extra effort to put others at ease.
- Is sensitive to and patient with the anxieties of others.
- Practices attentive and active listening.
- Can accurately restate the opinions of others even when he/she disagrees.
- Can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all.
- Can represent his/his own interests and yet be fair to other groups.
- Is seen as a team player and is cooperative.
- Easily gains trust and support of peers and encourages collaboration.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a related field is preferred.
- Highly collaborative leadership style and relationship/network builder.
- Experience in evaluative individuals’ abilities, interests and personality characteristics and matching them with suitable opportunities.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services.
- Knowledge of human behavior and performance, individual differences in ability, personality, and interests, learning and motivation.
- Experience managing projects or the ability to demonstrate project management skills.
- Avowed and demonstrated Christian faith.
- Understand and be willing and able to champion the church’s purpose and vision, and the theology and traditions of the United Methodist Church.
- Have strong verbal, written and editorial skills.
- Proficiency in Spanish language is highly desired.
- Must demonstrate a high level of trust and have the ability to protect the reputation and integrity of others through strict confidentiality.
For a downloadable version of this job description click here: