Position: Nursery Assistant (second position)
Hours/week: Part-time – 10 hours/week
Work hours: Sunday 8:30 am to 12:30 pm
Special services and events, Wednesday evenings
Overtime: With prior approval of supervisor
Supervisor: Director of Children’s Ministries
Annual leave: No
Sick leave: No
Health benefits: No
Retirement benefits: No
The Nursery Attendant provides safe, secure, nurturing, clean, and efficient care to young children from infants up to 24 months of age during worship services and other church activities. This is the second position in the Nursery and works under the direction of the Nursery Attendant.
Essential Job Functions
- Care for young children from infants up to 24 months of age during the 9:00, and 11:00 worship services and during the 10:00 am Sunday “Going Deeper” hour. Also, is to be available 6:45pm to 9:00 pm during Wednesday night music rehearsals, and during special worship services, such as Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Christmas Eve.
- Oversee sign-in of children and provide pager to parents with instructions.
- Be familiar with any special needs of children who are regular visitors to the Nursery.
- Upon pickup of child, provide feedback to parents about their child’s experience in the Nursery.
- Put all toys and equipment in its proper place before leaving the Nursery room. Put all dirty diapers in a plastic bag before placing in the trashcan and taking it out of the Nursery.
- Work with the Nursery Attendant to make sure necessary equipment and supplies are available.
- Provide consistent, quality childcare to church members and visitors attending worship services and other church activities.
- Avowed and demonstrated Christian faith.
- Exemplify Sterling United Methodist Church’s values and uphold the staff covenant.
- At least age 21.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including talking to parents about their children.
- Exhibit the extraordinary patience and love required for the care infants and babies.
- Maturity of judgment and emotions.
- Dependable, punctual, and non-temperamental.
- Proficiency in Spanish is highly desired.
- Must demonstrate a high level of trustworthiness and integrity.
- High school degree or higher is required.
- Substantial experience babysitting children, particularly infants.
- Complete infant CPR certification at Sterling United Methodist Church’s expense. Other first aid training and Red Cross babysitting certification are highly desirable.
- Present results of current (within one year) Tuberculin test and records of current immunizations.
- Pass a criminal background check, and understand and agree to follow Sterling United Methodist Church’s child protection policy.
Persons wishing to apply for this position should send their resume with cover letter to
For a PDF version of the job description click below: