It’s That Time Again for the Blessing of the Backpacks!
The 2018/2019 school year is upon us so remember to have the kids bring their backpacks to our 9:00 AM service Sunday, August 19 when Pastor Marcela will bless their backpacks during the Children’s Moment.
Last year we provided some tips about backpacks that could help prevent problems that arise from incorrect use. Good information for the 2018-2019 school year as well:
Does your child’s backpack look like the one this young scholar is wearing in the photo? According to the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) and the American Occupational Therapy Association, more than 79 million students in the United States carry a backpack and of those 79 million an estimated 55 percent of them are carrying a backpack that is too heavy.
Incorrect wearing of backpacks can contribute to health problems including pain in the back, neck, and shoulders, or the development of poor posture. Wearing backpacks properly can help prevent pain and posture problems.
So here are some tips from UPMC:
- Start with a lightweight backpack.
- Make sure the shoulder straps are wide and padded.
- The back should also be padded.
- Look for a backpack with a waist strap.
- Multiple compartments are a plus.
- Both straps should be worn at all times.
- The backpack’s weight should not exceed 15 percent of the child’s total body weight.
- If you have questions be sure to check with your Pediatrician!
So, don’t forget to have your child bring their backpack to Church on Sunday, August 19 when we will be blessing the backpacks for this new school year!