Position: Communications Coordinator
Hours/week: Part-time –20 hours/week Monday thru Friday
Work hours: During regular church business hours
Annual leave: Yes
Sick leave: Yes
Health benefits: No
Retirement benefits: Yes
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for implementing effective communications in support of the mission and vision of SUMC through various media both within the church community and externally to the community while serving as a key staff member on matters related to information technology. The Communications Coordinator also provides direction to the Communication and Office Assistant in the production of church materials for distribution to the congregation.
Essential Job Functions
- Work with pastoral and program staff to develop an integrated church-wide strategy for communicating the church’s vision, programs, and activities to the congregation and the external community.
- Keep abreast of communication trends to integrate new modes of communications into the church’s program.
- Work in partnership with Outreach and Welcome, and Missions committees and other ministry groups to develop communication tools for various programs and in devising creative ways to reach population groups.
- Consult with pastoral and ministry staff and ministry leaders to solicit content for the weekly announcements and e-mail newsletter. Prepare, write, and publish e-mail newsletter.
- Maintain and update Sterling United Methodist Church website and social media outlets to include Twitter and Facebook.
- Maintain and update information kiosk display in the Narthex.
- Oversee design brochures to reflect ministry areas.
- Oversee development of banners, posters, and business cards for ministry staff, as needed.
- Prepare and produce Annual Report.
- Oversee design and production of membership directories.
- Oversee production of worship media.
- Implement the church’s communications strategy through various media.
- Work with pastoral and program staff to design and make publications that reflect the church’s ministries, programs, and activities to the congregation and the external community.
- Avowed and demonstrated Christian faith.
- Exemplify Sterling United Methodist Church’s values and uphold the staff covenant.
- Understand and be willing and able to champion the church’s purpose and vision, and the theology and traditions of the United Methodist Church.
- Have strong verbal, written and editorial skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Maturity of judgment and emotions.
- Dependable, punctual, well organized, and non-temperamental.
- Proficiency in Spanish language is highly desired.
- Ability to work as part of a team with minimal supervision. Self motivated.
- Must demonstrate a high level of trust and have the ability to protect the reputation and integrity of others through strict confidentiality.
- College degree, with a background in liberal arts. Equivalent experience is also acceptable.
- Knowledge and/or experience with a variety of computer systems and applications, website management, and social media.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, desktop publication, and graphics and media software programs.