Position: Nursery Assistant
Hours/week: Part-time – up to 10 hours/week
Work hours: Sunday 8:45 am to 12:15 pm
Special services and events, Wednesday evenings 6:30 to 9:00 p.m.
Supervisor: Director of Children’s Ministries
Annual leave: No
Sick leave: No
Health benefits: No
Retirement benefits: No
The Nursery Attendant provides safe, secure, nurturing, clean, and efficient care to young children from infants up to 5 years of age during worship services and other church activities. The Nursery Assistant will cover both the nursery and preschool rooms depending on need.
Essential Job Functions
- Care for young children from infants up to 5 years of age during the Sunday morning worship services. Also, is to be available 6:00pm to 9:00 pm during Wednesday night music rehearsals, and during special worship services, such as Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Christmas Eve.
- Oversee sign-in of children and provide pager to parents with instructions.
- Be familiar with any special needs of children who are regular visitors to the Nursery.
- Upon pickup of child, provide feedback to parents about their child’s experience in the Nursery.
- Put all toys and equipment in its proper place before leaving the Nursery room. Put all dirty diapers in a plastic bag before placing in the trashcan and taking it out of the Nursery.
- Maintain cleanliness of all toys and equipment in the nursery.
- Ensure cleanliness of all fabric materials from equipment in nursery. i.e: Crib Sheets, Baby Play Mat, Swing and Bounce Seat covers
- Report any repair needs or broken equipment and remove broken equipment to the church office.
- Work with the Nursery Lead to make sure necessary equipment and supplies are available.
- Let the Nursery Lead and Director of Children’s Ministries know if you are not available during a regular scheduled work time.
- Provide consistent, quality childcare to church members and visitors attending worship services and other church activities.
- Avowed and demonstrated Christian faith.
- Exemplify Sterling United Methodist Church’s values and uphold the staff covenant.
- At least age 18.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including talking to parents about their children.
- Exhibit the extraordinary patience and love required for the care of infants, toddlers and preschoolers.
- Maturity of judgment and emotions.
- Dependable, punctual, and non-temperamental.
- Proficiency in Spanish is highly desired.
- Must demonstrate a high level of trustworthiness and integrity.
- Must be eligible to work in the US without sponsorship.
- High school degree or higher is required.
- Substantial experience in a daycare setting, including infants and toddlers.
- Complete infant CPR certification at Sterling United Methodist Church’s expense. Other first aid training and Red Cross babysitting certification are highly desirable.
- Present results of current (within one year) Tuberculin test and records of current immunizations.
- Pass a criminal background check and understand and agree to follow Sterling United Methodist Church’s child protection policy.
Desired Professional Requirements
- Early childhood education degree or working toward a teaching degree
- Experience working in the elementary school system
For a PDF version of the job description click below: