Mission Trip Prayer Partners
Many thanks to our mission team members, prayer partners and members of the congregation who have had a part in taking the love of Jesus to different areas of the world this summer on behalf of Sterling UMC. It is great to hear the stories you have to share about your mission trip experiences.
What is a prayer partner?
A prayer partner is a member of the congregation who commits to praying daily for a member of one of our short term mission teams.
Here are some things you may wish to pray for:
- Safety in travel
- Safety on the worksite
- Touched lives among the people served, and feeling God’s presence in their own hearts
- Endurance and perseverance on the worksite
- Development of Christian community as they live and work together
- Deepening of faith as in obedience they seek to serve God’s world
- Joy in the journey
What else does a prayer partner do?
In addition to praying for your participant, we would like to ask you to send along a few notes of encouragement for your partner. If you prepare 3 to 5 notes for their time away, that would be wonderful. The notes can be greeting cards, note cards, or whatever you wish. They can include favorite scripture passages, poems, or anything you think might encourage your participant. Simply bring them to the church office about a week before your participant’s trip leaves, if possible. On the outside of each note please include your partner’s full name and the day you would like the note to be received. We will give the notes to your partner at the times you indicate.
Can I send along gifts?
In the past, some prayer partners have asked if they may send along small gifts as well. Unfortunately, the gift giving was a little too extravagant in some cases, and the disparity between those who received gifts and those who didn’t receive gifts was unbalanced, causing some hurt feelings. Therefore, we ask that you do NOT send gifts this year. The focus should be on prayer and encouragement. If it doesn’t fit in the envelope with your note of encouragement, please don’t send it. The only exception would be if your participant is a small child. Small gifts would be acceptable for them.
When do I need to be present for my participant?
We will recognize our prayer partners at the commissioning services and we encourage you to attend if you can. We invite you to sit with your trip participant during the service so that you may get to know him or her a little better.
Team Commissioning Service Dates:
- Costa Rica – Wednesday, May 25 6:00 PM (Commissioning will be part of Talent Show)
- Czech Republic – Sunday, June 12, 8:15 AM
- Youth Choir Tour – Sunday, June 12, 9:30 AM
- Red Bird, Kentucky – Sunday, June 12, 11:00 AM
- Bennettsville, South Carolina – Sunday, June 12, 11:00 AM
- Sager Brown, Louisiana – Sunday, July 24, 9:30 AM
- Highlands, North Carolina – Sunday, September 25, 11:00 AM
We also invite you to attend Mission Sunday, which will be in late August (Date to be announced).
When are the trips?
- Costa Rica: May 28-June 4
- Czech Republic: June 17-27
- Youth Choir Tour, New York: June 26-July 1
- Red Bird, Kentucky: July 3-9
- Bennettsville, South Carolina: July 10-16
- Sager Brown, Louisiana: July 31-August 5
- Highlands, North Carolina: September 29-August 3