UMCOR KIT Instructions
The following are instructions for United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) kits:
School Kit Value: $11 per kit Place all items in cloth bag (see below).
- 1 pair blunt scissors (rounded tip only no plastic scissors)
- 3 pads of paper (8 1/2 x 11) [Spiral notebooks or top-bound pads; 150 sheets or less of loose leaf can be substituted for 1 pad. Combinations of spiral, top bound or loose leaf is acceptable-NO composition books)
- 1 hand held pencil sharpener (must be at least one inch long and removed from packaging)
- 1 ‐ 30 centimeter ruler wood or flexible (cartoon characters are acceptable no advertisements )
- 6 unsharpened pencils (no advertisements, religious, patriotic, military or camouflage symbols) cartoon characters are acceptable
- 1 ‐ 2 inch eraser (no advertisements, religious, patriotic, military or camouflage symbols ); cartoon characters are acceptable
- 1 ‐ 24 count box of crayons (only 24 count boxes)
- 1 – 14”x16” cloth bag
(Homemade or purchased bags are both acceptable. Heavy duty fabric only‐ denim, corduroy, drapery fabric etc. No advertisements, religious, patriotic, military or camouflage symbols please. Closures are optional but must be buttons, snaps or Velcro sewn in middle of opening if used
Health Kit: Value: $12 per kit Place these items inside a sealed one-gallon plastic bag.
- 1 hand towel (15″ x 25″ up to 17″ x 27″, (Kitchen, cleaning and microfiber towels NOT acceptable.)
- 1 washcloth (no child size)
- 1 comb (large and sturdy, not pocket-sized and longer than 6 inches. Rattail combs and combs without handles are acceptable with minimum of 6 inches of teeth.)
- 1 nail file or fingernail clippers (no emery boards or toenail clippers)
- 1 bath-size bar of soap (3 oz. and up in original packaging) No Ivory or Jergens soap due to moisture content.
- 1 toothbrush (single brushes only in original wrapper, no child-size brushes)
- 6 adhesive plastic strip sterile bandage; ¾” to 1” size. Regular band aides.
- $1.00 to purchase toothpaste (put in separate envelope)
(NOTE: DO NOT INCLUDE TOOTHPASTE! UMCOR Sager Brown is now purchasing toothpaste in bulk to be added to health kits before shipping to ensure that the product does not expire.
Birthing Kit Value: $8 per kit (NOT COLLECTING BIRTHING KITS AT THIS TIME)
Place these items inside a sealed one-gallon plastic bag.
- 1 hotel-size bar of soap (1 oz. and up)
- 1 pair of clean latex gloves
- 1 square yard of clear 4 mil plastic sheeting
- 3 pieces of clean string each 12” long
- 1 clean single use razor blade (carefully wrap the blade in paper or plastic to protect it and keep it from causing injury)
- 2 flannelette receiving blankets, each 1 square yard. NO thermal or fleece blankets. Blankets from 28” x 28” to 32” x 32”.
Sewing Kit Value: $28 per kit
Wrap sewing notions in the fabric and place in a sealed one-gallon plastic bag.
- 3 yards of cotton or cotton-blend, solid color or print fabric (must be 3 yards of uncut fabric)
- 1 pair sewing scissors
- 1 package of needles
- 1 spool of thread (medium to large spool; NO travel thread)
- 5-8 matching buttons (5/8” size or larger (No loose buttons. Leave buttons in original packaging or fasten all together.)
Layette Kit Value: $45 per kit
Bundle the items inside one of the receiving blankets and secure with the diaper pins.
- 6 cloth diapers (pre-folded or plain diapers only—NO disposable)
- 2 under shirts or 2 one-piece onesies
- 2 baby washcloths (infant size only)
- 2 gowns or sleepers
- 2 diaper pins (protective plastic closures)
- 1 sweater open in the front (may be knitted, crocheted or hooded sweat shirts are acceptable)
- 2 receiving blankets (28” or 28” to 32” x 32” sizes only. No crib blankets please.
Bedding Pak Value $50 per kit
- 2 flat double-bed sheets-NO fitted
- 2 pillowcases
- 2 pillows
NOTE: DO NOT wash as they will be considered used.
Donations for mailing kits: In a separate envelope, please send a check for at least $1 for each kit to help UMCOR Sager Brown with the costs of processing and shipping kits around the world. Make checks out to SUMC with UMCOR in the memo line. One check will be sent from the church to the conference.
SPECIAL NOTE REGARDING ITEMS FOR UMCOR KITS:
- All items must be new.
- All emergency kits are carefully planned to make them usable in the greatest number of situations. Since strict rules often govern product entry into international countries, it is important that kits contain only the requested items – nothing more.
- DO NOT include any personal notes, money or additional material in the kits. These things must be painstakingly removed and will delay the shipment.
- Patterns for the school bag, layette sweater and layette nightgown are available on UMW bulletin board in Gallihugh Hall.
Visit the web site, http://www.umcor.org/UMCOR/Relief-Supplies/Kits to view the needed supplies for UMCOR kits.
Don’t feel up to collecting items? Consider making a donation with a check made out to SUMC with UMCOR in the memo line.