What’s Happening in Adult Education
Sterling United Methodist Church has many opportunities for adults to meet in fellowship and Christian education.
Sunday morning small groups meet at 10 a.m. during our Growing Deeper at Ten hour. There are currently four classes to choose from.
- Our Spirit Seekers Adult Sunday school class is our longest running adult Bible study. They are currently studying from the That The World May Know series Volume 15: A Clash of Kingdoms, discovering how Paul communicated the Good News of Christ to Philippi, a Roman colony that worshipped false Gods. Facilitated by Pam and Al Eddy in room 107.
- A small group geared towards couples is using the book Sacred Marriage, What if God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy, More Than to Make Us Happy? by Gary L. Thomas. It explores marriage as a spiritual discipline designed to help you know God better. The discussion is facilitated by Gina and Ron Gallihugh and meets in the Parlor.
- Beginning February 9 we have a group starting a studying using Sandy and Dale Larsen’s Older and Wiser. Age brings many gifts and opportunities for continued growth. In this nine-session LifeGuide® Bible Study, Dale and Sandy Larsen help you discover the Bible’s perspective on aging. You’ll discover how God can effectively and powerfully use those who have grown wiser with the passing years. Facilitated by Janet and Steve Skinner, this group meets in Room 104.
- For the younger adult or the young heart we have a small group discussing the DVD series Time of Your Life by Andy Stanely. This study focuses on time, how there never seems to be enough of it and what are we doing with our time? Facilitated by Abby Hernley, the study meets in room 02.
- At 11 a.m. our Spanish speaking study group “Bocadillas y Bendiciones” or “Breakfast and Blessings” meets in Room 105 facilitated by Pastora Marcela Jarman.
On Mondays at 1 p.m. our Women’s Bible Study meets off site at the Sommerset Retirement Community in Sterling. This group meets year round except for certain holidays and in spite of the name, men are welcome. The study comes from the Serendipity Bible and they recently started reading Hosea. The group is facilitated by Careen Hunt.
On Tuesday evenings starting January 28 our Grief Class will resume their journey through grief using the book Beyond the Broken Heart by Julie Yarbrough. Everyone is welcome and this is a small confidential group. The discussion is facilitated by Paulette Almond and meets in the Parlor at 6:30 p.m.
Our Wednesday Night Fellowship currently offers two adult Bible studies.
- A group facilitated by Jim Gallihugh is currently working through the Book of Acts. This group meets at 7 p.m. in Room 104.
- Ashley Walsh is facilitating a six week study based on the book Soul Keeping, Caring for the Most Important Part of You written by John Ortberg. This group meets at 7 p.m. in Room 103. This current segment started on January 8 and when complete, the group will begin a new study called Creed by Adam Hamilton.
In addition to the Bible studies, Wednesday evenings also offer a fellowship meal in Gallihugh Hall at 6 p.m., music department rehearsals starting at 6:30, and the Master’s Crafters crafting group at 7:00 in Room 107.
Sterling UMC is a community church and all are welcome to be our guest, attend our services and support our mission efforts. For updates on upcoming events, activities and services subscribe to our weekly newsletter!